Monday, September 26, 2011

Lucky 13

"You make your own luck"

I had heard this before. So, when I googled it I was happy to see it was none other than Pappa Hemingway who gets the credit for saying it.
In case you hadn't heard we celebrated the 13th anniversary of our restaurant opening this month. I thought it would be fun to throw a 13 course dinner to commemorate the occasion. Each course would somehow nod towards luck, superstition or good fortune.



For all of those years I have heard many rave reviews from customers, family and critics. The times that I am most proud of are when someone takes a few minutes to tell me how much they enjoyed everything and then finish with "...and your staff is just wonderful!" Typically I would respond with " Yeah, we are really lucky to have some great people working with us." Then one day I was corrected. "You have hired the right people. You have trained them well. And, most importantly, you take care of them. That is why they do what they do for you. That is why they take care of us, That is why they care. And that has nothing to do with luck" And, so it is. Our staff really is like another family. Don't get me wrong there are times when they make me want to rip my own hair out. But, when it comes down to it they would do almost anything for me. And I wouldn't be able to do what I do without them, all of them. From bartender to dishwasher and everyone in between,they are the magical glue that keeps this squeaky little machine going. So, if I am not "lucky" to have them, then I guess I need to take a minute to express how much I appreciate having them. And, if any of them are reading this...
Put your smart phone down and get back to work!



As promised, here are some photos from the Lucky 13 Dinner... this is how the menu read...

Black Pearl in an Oyster



A Pot of Gold



Wish Upon a Star



Revenge(a dish best served cold)



The Luck of the Irish



Rabbit Fingers



Lucky #7



Schwien Gehabt



Chimney Sweep



Mighty Oak



Broken Mirror



Vegas Baby



Chocolate Thirtini



and we picked a few nice wines as well...

Nicholas Feuillatte Brut Rose

Domaine Weinbach Reisling

Pacific Rim Vin de Glacier

Laetitia Pinot Noir

Black Jack Ranch Syrah

Pedroncelli Vintage Port



Cheers!







P.S. I was really happy that Rob was able to come by and capture the night.Our schedules don't always line up. When one of our guests heard he was in the kitchen he asked if he could meet him. He said some thing like "I love the photos you put on Andre's blog" I know he meant no harm. He was paying a compliment. But I winced a bit when I heard it. I was in the middle of plating what totaled to nearly 1200 plates of food and couldn't pull myself away to correct him. So, for the record, this is and always will be Rob and Andre's Blog.

2 comments:

  1. Andre,
    What wonderful nook of pictures, stories and menu! Everything looked awesome! Im so hungry now! Congratulations to you and Tracey on the anniversary! Wish you both could be there for the wedding, but of coarse we understand. You are a tremendous part of where I am now, and always fondly refer to my days with you! My appreciation to you and Tracey will be everlasting.
    Continued Success (both in food endevours and with family),
    Love, Al Burn

    ReplyDelete